Conditioning: Building Flexibility and Strength
Flexibility Training Benefits
- Easier movement
- Improved posture and balance
- Increased relaxation
- Released muscle tension and toxins
- Reduced injuries
- Decreased soreness
Increase your flexibility through:
- Warm-up routines, such as walking around for 5-10 minutes while swinging your arms in wide circles
- Stretching routines where you hold each muscle in a stretched position for 10-30 seconds. The ideal stretching program would be 30 minutes a day, three days a week, but even fitting short sessions whenever it’s convenient will help.
- Pilates, yoga, or tai chi, which are great ways to develop a regular stretching program
Strength Training Benefits
- Increased physical capabilities
- Increased stamina
- Increased muscle mass
- Decreased risk of injury
Certified fitness professionals can help you design your own strength-training program. Typically, you focus on a particular muscle by doing a set of 8-12 repetitions. Over time, as you build strength, you can increase the weight or the number of repetitions.
Remember: Be sure to consult your physician before starting any exercise program. For more information about flexibility or strength training, contact your health care provider, your Concentra health specialist, or visit the MyFit website.