Improve physical fitness and enhance your health.
- Helps endurance and vitality
- Helps cardiovascular conditioning
- Reduces elevations in blood pressure
- Improves blood sugar control in diabetes
- Helps weight loss and prevents weight gain
- Improves oxygen circulation through the blood
Before starting a program
See your health care provider if you have been previously inactive and have a chronic medical condition such as heart disease, or symptoms, such as chest pain.
Know Your Target Heart Rate
- Calculate Maximum Heart Rate (MHR) = 220 minus your age
- Calculate Minimum Exercise Heart Rate (MNR) = MHR x 0.60
- Calculate Maximum Exercise Heart Rate (MXR) = MHR x 0.75
Target Heart Rate = any heart rate between your MNR and MXR
Start Exercising in 7 Steps
1. Seek activity
2. Get moving
3. Stretch 5 minutes before/after exercise
4. Check your pulse rate for Target Heart Rate
5. Increase exercise time/intensity for Target Heart Rate
6. Start with as little as 10 minutes at a time, if needed
7. Exercise 2 hours and 30 minutes each week
For more information on aerobic exercise, contact your health care provider, your Concentra health specialist, a physical trainer, or visit health.gov.