Concentra Reminds You to Be Flu Prepared This Holiday Season
This holiday season, an estimated 4 million people will head to the nation's airports where they are likely to encounter busy terminals and cramped airplanes - a breeding ground for cold and flu germs. To help keep travelers safe and healthy, Concentra Urgent Care is offering some easy ways to stay well while sharing tidings and giving thanks.
For many, the holidays mean increased travel, frequent parties, crowded malls, and an increased opportunity to pick up harmful viruses. In fact, 90 percent of cold and flu germs are spread through touching contaminated surfaces or sharing close contact with others who are ill. Concentra Urgent Care offers some easy steps each person can take, even while traveling across country, to help make the holidays full of sentiment not sickness:
- Boost your immunity — Take a high-potency multivitamin with extra vitamin C to help boost your immune system. This can help improve the body's natural defenses against any germs you may encounter.
- Rinse and repeat - viruses can live on surfaces for up to 48 hours, so frequent hand washing can help to protect against contracting illnesses, and can protect people from other germs that can cause further complications.
- Stay hydrated — Alcoholic beverages are a favorite among holiday parties, but they will also contribute to dehydration. Be sure to balance your alcohol intake with plenty of water. Just keep a bottle of water with you, refill throughout the day, and you will increase your normal intake.
- Sleep in — Get plenty of rest. Even if your routine is interrupted by guests and/or travel, maintain a regular sleep schedule as much as possible. This will help to keep you refreshed and improve your immunity.
- Get a flu vaccine — an annual flu vaccination offers the most effective protection against the flu and is recommended for everyone over the age of six months. This year's flu vaccines have already been released, are completely new formulations for this year's strains, and are given in one easy dose at Concentra Urgent Care locations across the country.
- If you start to feel ill, seek medical attention — individuals who begin feeling ill, have a high fever, and complain of fatigue should not wait until symptoms worsen or return - this can prolong the duration of the illness. If you start to feel sick, get a medical evaluation, available at a Concentra Urgent Care or other medical providers.
"Despite increased traffic from travelers, shoppers, and the number of holiday-related functions many people commonly attend, staying healthy during the holidays can be easily achieved by staying focused," said Bill Lewis, M.D. Concentra Senior Vice President of Medical Operations. "By being smart about your health, taking certain steps to stay in good physical shape, and taking time out from the flurry of activity can go a long way to improve immunity and mental clarity. One thing every person can do to protect themselves is to get an annual flu shot."
Even during the holidays, with travelers heading far and wide across the country, many individuals may find themselves away from home and feeling ill. Luckily, Concentra's more than 320 national locations mean quality and affordable medical care is within reach of most destinations.
Whether staying in town or traveling the nation this season, Concentra delivers treatment for a wide range of injuries and illnesses, including colds and flu, minor burns, upset stomachs and many other conditions. For a complete list of locations, visit www.Concentra.com.