Concentra Recognizes National Safety Awareness Month
Concentra, a subsidiary of Humana Inc., is participating in June’s National Safety Awareness Month by sharing key safety tips to staying injury-free while enjoying popular summer activities.
Led by the National Safety Council, National Safety Awareness Month is an annual observance created to educate and influence behaviors around leading causes of preventable injuries and deaths. This year’s theme, “Safety Starts with Me”, focuses on teaching individuals about their role and responsibility in creating a safe environment for themselves and those around them.
To help reduce the number of injuries while outdoors, Concentra recommends following the three ‘Ps’ of prevention1—preparation, planning and problem anticipation, as well as incorporating these tips when participating in outdoor activities this season:
- Drink plenty of water. If you are spending extra time outdoors, be sure to drink 10 to 14 cups of water a day to avoid dehydration, even when conditions are overcast or have high humidity.
- Never leave children unattended near water. Per the CDC, drowning ranks fifth among the leading cause of accidental injury-related deaths in the U.S.
- Use the 10-foot rule. When grilling outdoors, it is important to position the grill at least 10 feet from any structure, plant, and garage where a fire could start. This also reduces the chance of injuries and property damage.
- Protect your skin. Prevent sunburns and reduce your skin cancer risks by always using sunscreen with a minimum SPF 15. Long sleeves, pants, sunglasses, and a hat also offer protection against UVA and UVB rays.
- No biting. Warmer months also bring mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks. Apply insect repellant, especially in heavily wooded areas, to prevent bites and illnesses.
- Wear safety equipment. If your swimming ability is limited, be sure to wear a life jacket. Also, don’t forget a helmet, knee, and elbow pads when cycling or skating.
For more tips on ways to have a healthy, fun summer, visit www.cdc.gov/features/movingoutdoors.
Concentra Urgent Care is here to help patients get started on the path to better health and reduce the risk of chronic illnesses with an annual physical exam at any of its 330 national locations. Concentra Urgent Care offers affordable health care services for the entire family, and is rapidly becoming the new trend in patient care. For a complete list of locations, visit www.Concentra.com.