Fireworks: Be Safe, Not Sorry
Written by Veronica Vivero | Published on June 25, 2015
Reviewed by Craig Conditt on June 25, 2015
Don't 'light 'em up, up, up'
Fourth of July is around the corner and it seems like everyone is making arrangements to head out to the lake or attend a family barbecue, but at the center of their plans is finding out where the best fireworks show is going to happen.
Despite the numerous professional fireworks displays around the country, some opt to shoot off homemade or consumer fireworks at home. With colorful and enticing packaging lining the shelves at nearby stores and being a relatively inexpensive form of entertainment, can you blame them?
But the National Fire Protection Association is opposed to this kind of use and coordinates the Alliance to Stop Consumer Fireworks, a group of health and safety organizations that urges the public to avoid the use of fireworks.
This includes sparklers and firecrackers, because even they burn hot enough to cause third-degree burns. That’s right, even seemingly innocent sparklers can cause severe burns. Shooting off consumer or homemade fireworks is not worth the risk and severity of potential injury to you or your friends and family.
Did you know?
- Fireworks cause an average of almost 20,000 reported fires per year.
- In 2013, sparklers caused 41% of fireworks injuries.
- Burns are the most common fireworks-related injury.
- Never pick up fireworks that may be left over, they may still be active.
- The risk of fireworks injury is highest for young people ages 0-4, followed by children 10-14.
- 55% of 2014 emergency room fireworks-related injuries were to the extremities and 38% were to the head.
Visit the NFPA website for additional fireworks safety tips, statistics, and fireworks safety videos.
Fireworks are the ultimate way to celebrate – they’re loud and bright and colorful and exploding with excitement. But ultimately, safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public display conducted by trained professionals.
So this year, skip the at-home show, grab the family, and join the crowd at a fireworks display near you to enjoy a show put on by the professionals. Besides, experiences and memories are better when they’re made with others.