Medical Support Specialist Houston, TX Full Time
Working under appropriate supervision by various providers and/or Center Administrator, in an outpatient setting, provides routine and non-routine technical Center assistance and patient care within the medical assistant scope of practice and required certifications in accordance with Concentra policies, practices and procedures and applicable regulations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Welcomes patients
- Prepares patients for health care visit, adapting basic procedure to patient needs
- Places patient in exam room for provider evaluation.
- Obtains medical history.
- Verifies patient information
- Prepares, assists and accurately completes all forms
- Supports patient care delivery
- Assists providers during examination and treatment with various procedures.
- Administers immunizations within scope of licensure and certification and appropriate regulations.
- Takes vital signs and performs all ancillary tests appropriate to skill level, certifications and state regulations
- Performs ancillary testing and tasks as ordered by the Center Medical Director (PFT, EKG, injections, audiograms, blood draws) and as certified.
- Assists in surgery set up and injury care as directed by the treating provider
- Dispenses medications and appliances within scope of practice and as ordered by the treating provider and in accordance with state regulations.
- Applies bandages, dressings and splints as ordered by the treating provider.
- Educates patients
- Completes records
- Keeps supplies ready
- Assists in maintaining pharmacy inventory within computerized Center management software application.
- Assists in managing center medical inventory including ordering and receipt of medical and lab supplies appliances and medications.
- Maintains supplies, cleans rooms and equipment, and stocks rooms with required supplies
- Keeps equipment operating
- Operates autoclave machine in accordance with policy and procedures and complies with all regulatory requirements.
- Maintains and operates all clinical equipment, including calibration and record keeping in accordance with current policy and procedures.
- Maintains safe, secure, and healthy work environment
- Conducts business in a service-oriented manner that is attentive, cooperative, sensitive, respectful and kind with dealing with patients, visitors, the public and all colleagues
- Assists in maintaining a neat, clean and orderly appearance in the lobby and overall center throughout the day.
- Performs drug screen collections for both DOT and Non-DOT drug screens, using proper chain of custody; ensures preparation for pick-up and shipment to appropriate laboratory.
- Performs front office clerical duties such as answering telephones, check-in, check-out and record processing
- Assists in training and mentoring new medical support specialists.
- Attends centers staff meetings as required.
- Completes required certifications
- Performs clerical activities related to appointment scheduling and patient intake, data verification, office communications, and filing of patient records.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
MEASURES OF PERFORMANCE:
- Exceptional Customer Service
- Current license as MA in state employed according to state requirements and appropriate regulations.
- Graduate of Medical Assisting Program or Army Medical Specialist Program; (Licensed RN, EMT, Paramedic or LPN may be considered as equivalent to education and training listed above).
JOB RELATED EXPERIENCE:
- 12 months continuous experience in clinical environment as a medical assistant
DEMONSTRATED JOB-RELATED SKILLS/COMPETENCIES:
- Excellent attention to detail
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Effective problem solving skills
- Proficient knowledge of clinical procedures, medical anatomy and physiology.
- Proficient knowledge of occupational medicine requirements (state specific).
- Proficient documentation skills
- Proficient procedural skills such as blood draws, EKG/PFT testing
- Excellent ability to speak clearly and effectively in a variety of settings
- Certifications in Hair, Hearing Conversation, spirometry,
- Ability to participate in initial and ongoing training as required.
- Effective communication and interaction with employers, patients, providers and other colleagues.
- Ability to use tack and diplomacy appropriate to situation.
- Ability to maintain working relationship with all levels of colleagues.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Fast paced, deadline-oriented office environment.
- 401(k) with Employer Match
- Medical/Vision/Prescription/Dental Plans
- Life Insurance/Disability
- Paid Time Off
- Colleague Referral Bonus Program
If you’re looking for an organization that cares for your growth and well-being as much it does its patients, consider Concentra.
This job requires access to confidential and sensitive information, requiring ongoing discretion and secure information management.
Concentra is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Veterans/Disabled