Sr. Engineer DBA Sybase Addison TX
From our Dallas corporate headquarters to our clinics, worksites, and mobile locations, Concentra colleagues remain focused on our driving purpose: to provide superb patient and employer experience by delivering the highest quality healthcare in an efficient, affordable, caring manner. We do this by putting all customers (internal and external) first and by displaying:
- A healing focus
- A selfless heart
- A tireless resolve
SR Systems Engineer (Sybase Database administrator): Install, configure, upgrade, and maintain all client databases which include performance monitoring, troubleshooting and client support. Perform changes within Company regulations and security standards. Assist with testing, implementation, and installation of new/improved systems, as well as product upgrades. Attend meetings and interact regularly with management, team, and clients to continuously improve services. Participate in On-Call rotation schedule This position requires the execution of a wide array of duties which includes the responsibility in providing technical leadership within the scope of handling project implementations, infrastructure maintenance/support and maintaining one’s expertise in their assigned roles and responsibilities.
- Leads and/or participates in the planning, installation, configuring, monitoring, and deployment of database systems
- Responsible for ensuring all database system operational processes are managed according to established service level agreements.
- Administration of database objects such as indexes, tables, views, constraints, stored procedures
- Archiving, backup / recovery, replication, cloning, import/export and refresh
- Administration of database users
- Capacity Management and storage management
- Design, test, and optimize/tune RDBMS components
- Contribute to design, maintenance, and documentation of integrated database security and components in relation to SOX compliance
- Review and assess new features or upgrades to existing RDBMS components as well as application database changes
- For databases that may be supported in the future, reviews product literature to assess RDBMS differences and unique features. When possible, test new technologies and report results
- Develop, maintain, and optimize programming code for maintenance jobs and application reporting tools. Develop shell scripts as required.
- Perform continuing analysis of database infrastructure to assist in proactive tuning efforts
- Troubleshoot and resolve critical and minor issues detected via monitoring or during storage analysis
- Develop and maintain storage infrastructure documentation
- Perform database updates, patching, and prescribed maintenance during approved maintenance windows
- Interact with vendor to resolve issues and/or maintain vendor relationships
- Develop capacity assessment practices to forecast future software and system needs
- Conduct database security risk assessments that include, but not limited to, monitoring, investigation and reporting of security and access violations
- Respond within defined SLA requirements in relation to database issues
- Able to work on an on-call rotation responding to alerts within the defined SLA.
- Work closely with neighboring departments with the intent on ensuring proper implementations of projects and maintaining a collaboration effort
- Complete projects and tasks as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in information technology preferred or a combination of equivalent education and work experience.
- Certifications in EMC storage and/ or Solaris/Red Hat is a plus.
- 7+ years’ experience as a Sybase(ASE) Database Administrator
- Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing
- A strong understanding of Release and Change Management with the various processes associated
- Must interact well with peers and management.
- Provide consultation and expert advice on systems and related topics
- Handle all additional tasks as assigned
- Able to complete assignments that are defined in general terms. Self-motivated to direct own work flow in a manner that maximizes results and meets division goals/schedules. Desire to produce high quality, thorough work.
- Able to prepare and maintain comprehensive and accurate documentation. Must be able to adapt presentation to a specific target audience (i.e., client management/personnel)
- Able to transfer conceptual knowledge from current skill set in order to quickly develop expertise in new databases, platforms, or networks
- Adapt well to changing project and departmental priorities. Able to work scheduled hours and overtime when needed
- Strong team orientation, open-minded, able to listen to other's ideas. Good understanding of his/her role, his/her Manager's role, and is able to work well with others
- Willingness to develop expertise in other areas. Willingness to actively participate in group cross-training by sharing personal areas of expertise with other engineers
- Strong communications skills to across the IT organization, business units, and customers.
- Strong competencies in strategic planning and visioning to identify new and emerging technologies that can be used to drive the successful development and implementation of database architecture environments. Has depth and skills in being creative and developing efficient and effective solutions to diverse and complex business problems.
- Solid understanding of Data Management Products, designs and best practices
- Ability to diagnose database/applications issues and develop effective solutions for resolutions.
- Capacity Planning and Project Management.
- Experience with installing, configuring, tuning, and troubleshooting Unix/Linux systems a plus.
- Good understanding of network and TCP/IP concepts (VLAN tagging, etc.) as it associates with Unix/Linux systems a plus.
- High availability architecture and design experience within an enterprise environment a plus.
- Knowledge within the Oracle Solaris environment (Solaris 8, 9, 10, and 11) to include ZFS, PDOMs, Zones / Containers, Volume management, and performance tuning a plus
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This position will be based in an office environment and will require physical demands consistent with other office professionals.
- 401(k) with Employer Match
- Medical/Vision/Prescription/Dental Plans
- Life Insurance/Disability
- Paid Time Off/Holidays
- Colleague Referral Bonus Program
This job requires access to confidential and sensitive information, requiring ongoing discretion and secure information management.
Concentra is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans