Outpatient Ortho Physical Therapy Assistant
Please be advised, if you are viewing this position on Indeed, that the salary rate/range set forth herein was provided by Indeed. Concentra's market specific rate/range will be provided during the interview process.
Under the direct supervision of a licensed Physical Therapist, performs client treatment programs and activities as prescribed and provide technical assistance regarding therapeutic programs, methods, and equipment, in accordance with Concentra Medical Centers Injury Process Management and philosophy of rehabilitation in occupational medicine.
Clinical Responsibilities (Process Management / Content Management skills)
- Assists the Physical Therapist by accepting patient(s) from his/her schedule
- Executes the established treatment plan developed by Physical Therapist
- Documents the actual treatment provided following process management guidelines
- Performs delegated functions in the event the Physical Therapist is not at the clinical site, predicated on the complexity and acuity of the patients’ needs.
- Contacts the supervising Physical Therapist by telephone should the need arise and clearly documents in the specific patient’s chart the name of the Physical Therapist that authorizes any treatment changes.
- Contacts the center’s Physician or Physician’s Assistant immediately, should an emergency or critical event arise.
- Ensures that other treating medical professionals have the necessary information to appropriately assess the patient’s functional ability:
- Documents treatment plans according to guidelines
- Assists the Physical Therapist with providing the referring physician with written objective progress reports for each patient prior to physician recheck dates
- Communicates with all medical providers regarding patients and diagnoses
- Documents the functional activities that each patient performs during treatment sessions so that the Physical Therapist may fully evaluate and provide to the referring physician the functional ability and progress of the patient
- Discusses each patient’s case with the Physical Therapist in which progress remains limited
- Communicates verbally with the Physical Therapist, who will then communicate verbally with the medical providers, regarding challenging patients
- Communicates with all therapy patients s/he is personally treating, setting expectations for return-to-work and emphasizing education and motivation
- Develops knowledge of best demonstrated practices and specific quality indicators to measure and improve them
- Coordinates with the Physical Therapist in communicating with employers concerning specific rehabilitation issues of injured employees
- Coordinates with the Physical Therapist to keep missed appointment rates within acceptable ranges
Business / Financial Responsibilities
- Assists the Physical Therapist with evaluation of the capital equipment
- Assist the Physical Therapist with the provision of statistical analysis of the center’s therapy performance
- Assists with the establishment and promotion of clear lines of communication between therapy and other center staff members
- Assist the Physical Therapist with tracking and documentation of pre-authorization requirements
- Assist in the training of other Physical Therapist Assistants, Athletic Trainers, and/or Physical Therapy Technicians as requested by the Physical Therapist
- Assist the Physical Therapist in evaluation of the performance of all therapy support staff based at the center
- Assist the Physical Therapist in the determination of whether a disciplined therapy support staff member has successfully corrected the action of focus
- Communicates with the Outcome Assurance Injury Coordinator or the Case Manager for each patient
- Participates in clinical instruction of college or university Physical Therapist Assistant students
- Participates with the Physical Therapists in the evaluation of the effectiveness of the rehabilitation quality management process
- Assists the Physical Therapist in the development and implementation of new and improved rehabilitation quality management processes
- Assist the Physical Therapists with monitoring and ensuring compliance with the rules and regulations
- Develops a working knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), their State Workers’ Compensation law
- Assists the Physical Therapist with promotions, support, and conducting of projects and activities that will develop or improve occupational medicine services and overall teamwork within the centers
- Meets with the Physical Therapist or Director of Therapy or the designee on a regular basis to discuss quality of patient care, procedures, records, review of new policies and other issues as indicated
- Participates regularly in professional continuing education
- Other duties as assigned. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- Degree from an accredited Physical Therapy Assistant program
- Licensed as a Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) in work state
- Previous experience in an orthopedic setting with use of modalities, therapeutic exercises and isokinetic equipment
- Concentra Core Competencies of Service Mentality, Attention to Detail, Sense of Urgency, Initiative and Flexibility
- Ability to make decisions or solve problems by using logic to identify key facts, explore alternatives, and propose quality solutions
- Outstanding customer service skills as well as the ability to deal with people in a manner which shows tact and professionalism
- The ability to properly handle sensitive and confidential information (including HIPAA and PHI) in accordance with federal and state laws and company policies
- Demonstrated willingness to participate in initial and ongoing training as required
- Demonstrated effective communication and interaction with employers, patients, providers and other employees
- Demonstrated ability to maintain working relationship with all levels of employees
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated computer skills
- Must successfully complete orientation and training as well as demonstrate competency in all required physical therapy tasks
- Minimal travel (may include overnight) up to 10%
- Work is performed in a clinical office environment. Involves occasional to frequent exposure to communicable disease, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations and other conditions common to a clinic environment. Involves frequent telephone and in-person contact with clients, staff, vendors, consultants, and Management. Requires the ability to work in a demanding environment, to work a flexible schedule and to effectively resolve conflicts as they arise.
- Work continually requires full range of body motion including maneuvering patients, manual and finger dexterity to perform specific tasks, operate various clinical and office equipment, and eye-hand coordination. Standing and walking for prolonged periods of time. Due to the nature of this position, will involve frequent to continuous reaching. Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. Corrected or normal vision is required in the performance of tasks inherent to office work. Requires moderate typing skills and manual dexterity to operate a keyboard, calculator, telephone, copier, and such other office equipment as necessary. It is necessary to view and type on computer screens for variable periods of time.
- 401(k) with Employer Match
- Medical/Vision/Prescription/Dental Plans
- Life Insurance/Disability
- Paid Time Off
- Colleague Referral Bonus Program
This position is eligible to earn a base compensation rate in the range of $___ to $___ hourly depending on job-related factors as permitted by applicable law, such as level of experience, geographic location where the work is performed, and/or seniority.
Concentra is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans