Concentra Helps Parents Get Schooled on the Flu
11/14/11 // Posted in Press Releases
When it comes to the flu, school-aged children are at a greater risk of catching and spreading influenza due to the close proximity of other classmates on a daily basis. This year, Concentra is helping to spread awareness of influenza, and the importance of getting an annual flu vaccine.
Just like adults, children come into contact with countless surfaces that can help spread the flu from one person to another. There are several ways to help protect children (and adults) against influenza. Parents can help their children stay healthy and active by following a few kid-friendly tips:
- Don't share — utensils, cups, or bottles should be left alone, no matter how tempting a friend's lunch looks
- Don't double-dip — just grab a new chip
- Do the vampire sneeze — if no tissues are available, sneeze into the elbow section on a shirt sleeve
- Lather, rinse, repeat — wash hands before every meal and throughout the day
- Keep hands away from eyes, nose and mouth — no nail biting, nose picking, or eye rubbing
- No late-night television — children should be sure to get plenty of rest in order to strengthen the immune system
- Be tough — an annual flu vaccine for children (and adults) offers the best defense against contracting influenza
"By promoting the availability of flu vaccines in the area, parents and physicians can better prepare for the upcoming flu season," said Senior Vice President of Medical Operations Bill Lewis, M.D. "The flu shot is the best defense against contracting the flu virus. It keeps people healthy and saves lives."
Concentra offers flu shots at all its 320 national Concentra Urgent Care centers. Seasonal influenza, or the flu, is an extremely contagious respiratory infection that often includes symptoms like high fever, cough and full body aches. Flu symptoms are more severe than those of colds and can cause medical complications. Whether it's through a Concentra urgent care location or from another health care provider, Concentra encourages all children and adults to get an influenza vaccine this season.
With locations throughout the nation, many with weekend and extended hours, Concentra delivers comprehensive health care solutions to patients at times and locations where they need it most. To learn more about the seasonal flu, including popular myths and facts about influenza, log on to www.concentra.com/flu, or visit your local Concentra Urgent Care location.