Savings and ROI from Worksites
Placing a value on employee health centers
Employee health centers provide convenient access to medical care, and have been proven to reduce the total cost of health care for employees and employers. Worksite medical programs are located at an employer’s work location and can be customized for the needs of employees at that specific site. During the implementation of a Concentra employee health center, we work with each individual client to determine the correct approach to measuring return on investment (ROI), complimented with comprehensive outcomes reports on a scheduled basis.
According to the 2010 Health Care Cost Survey by Towers Watson, companies with high performing health programs pay 18% less – roughly $2,000 per employee – for their health benefit programs. This means a high performing employer with 10,000 employees would spend an average of $20 million less per year.
Concentra calculates worksite ROI with six standard, integrated components:
- Savings from direct medical costs – Worksite medical services benefit both the employer and employee by providing urgent, primary, preventive, and occupational health care on-site. We can determine the time and cost savings associated with the provision of these services on-site at a fixed fee, as compared to fee-for-service charges by a community network provider.
- Savings from productivity – Direct access to the employee health center results in less time away from work and decreased absenteeism. Concentra tracks the average visit duration and uses an average hourly wage to determine productivity savings.
- Savings from additional medical services – Concentra provides many additional services at the employer’s worksite including biometric screenings, flu shots, and travel medicine at a cost of supplies and equipment versus fee-for-service rates.
- Savings for membership – Concentra has the tools to calculate out of pocket savings members can expect from utilizing an employee health center.
- Savings from pharmacy – Concentra dispenses medications on-site for common medical conditions at a reduced cost, which can be compared with the cost of receiving the same prescriptions through a local pharmacy. (Except in states that restrict dispensing)
- Savings from improved health – With integrated counseling and informative wellness programs at each worksite, Concentra increases awareness and employee participation in the worksite program. We provide comprehensive reporting that tracks the health status trends of the employee population.